On Thursday 26th June 2014, hundreds of activists in more than 50 cities around the world will make their voices heard as part of the global Support. Don’t Punish campaign – funded through the CAHR project.
Support. Don’t Punish is a global campaign calling for governments to put an end to the expensive and counter-productive war on drugs. The criminalisation of people who use drugs around the world has not reduced drug use or supply – but costs in excess of $100 billion per year to enforce, and has driven HIV, tuberculosis and hepatitis epidemics among this population. It has also fuelled human rights violations and led to the mass incarceration of the vulnerable and the poor. The campaign calls for investments in harm reduction responses, and for the decriminalisation of people who use drugs and the removal of other laws that impede public health services.
The ‘Global Day of Action’ is a public show of force in favour of drug policy reform, and coincides with the UN-sponsored International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. A series of high-profile photo and video opportunities will take place simultaneously near iconic buildings and landmarks in cities around the world.
In 2013, people in 41 cities around the world took part – with protests, press events, street art, dance displays and more. The aim is to make 2014 even bigger!
We already have 50 cities confirmed for the 26th June 2014, and expect many more in the coming weeks. This includes activities in Bolivia, Cambodia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, France, Georgia, Hungary, Ireland, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Tanzania, Tunisia, Ukraine and the UK! This list will keep growing – please visit supportdontpunish.org/day-of-action-2014 for more information.
There are a number of ways to get involved:
- Visit www.supportdontpunish.org to register your support and share the campaign through social media
- Change your Facebook and Twitter profiles to the campaign logo, or upload the specially-designed Facebook cover picture
- Become a supporting organisation by sending your logo and link to email@example.com
- Take your photo with the campaign poster, then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to be uploaded as part of the campaign’s Interactive Photo Project
- Organise or take part in an event in your city – see http://supportdontpunish.org/day-of-action-2014/
The heightened risks faced by people who use drugs can no longer be ignored. It is time to leave behind harmful politics, ideology and prejudice. It is time to prioritise the health and welfare of people who use drugs, and their families and communities.